A little light reading for the weekend: The Research Bureau’s just-released “Benchmarking Public Safety” report.
Some intriguing stats in there, including:
- In 2008, the Worcester Police responded to 108,121 criminal and non-criminal incidents, up from 97,829 in 2004. (That, of course, doesn’t necessarily reflect an actual increase in crime)
- From 2006 to 2007, reported violent crime in the city went up 2.1% while it fell 5% in the Northeast
- The fire department responded to almost 33% more calls in 2008(28,953) than 2004(21,778), but budgeted firefighter positions fell 7%
- Still, average response time is 18 seconds less than in 2004
- More than 66% of WFD incidents were first responder/incident calls; 3% were structure fires
What stands out to you?