Gonzoworm is questioning our use of “The Woo” in reference to Worcester, and while we admit it’s not nearly as established (read: old-school) as “Wormtown,” “Wor-town,” or any other variation, we beg to differ that the only place it’s being used is in our pages.
- From a comment on Sunday Night Dinner: “Aaah, the Woo. Worcester is an hour outside of Boston. Pronounced in true Bahston fashion, as Wuss-ter. The Woo.”
- Then there’s the college discount card, known as “The WOO Card,”
- There’s also the related “WOO Bus,”
- Or you can go pray at The Woo Church.
- Maybe we’re actually too late on the term. In 2004, a Holy Cross Crusader column ran a column called “In The Woo.“
- What’s older than the Miss Worcester? Or the Miss Woo?
- Brendan “Buck Paxton” has repeatedly used the phrase, including on VolcanoBoy, and as an ongoing category tag.
- And then there’s the multitude of MySpace pages.
Anyway, there are plenty more, but at least we know we’re not alone.